• Katsushika, Hokusai, 1760-1849, artist, [between 1804 and 1818] 1 print : woodcut, color ; 23.2 x 17.2 cm.

• Image Citation
  • View Primary Source

• View Image

Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball?

Author: Cate Cooney

It's Jackie Robinson day! This came to my attention because Philadelphia is issuing a formal apology to Mr. Robinson for the treatment he received from the Phillies. (For a news item on the apology, see here

There are amazing photographs of Robertson in the Library of Congress collection, and a nice article here - as well as a great Collection Connection in the teacher resources section of the Library's Website.

The images age wonderful, powerful and evocative. However, my favorite Robinson-related item in the Library's collection is this hand-written copyright deposit sheet music (see image's down below).

I find it interesting, because while I can read music a little, it's not clear to me how this song should sound. I'd love to ask a room full of students what they think it might sound like, and why. I'd also ask them what they wonder about the lyrics. A the bottom of the first page and beginning of the second page, there are a bunch of names mentioned. Who might those people be?

Thanks to the internet, we can listen to Count Basie's Orchestra doing Woodrow Buddie Johnson's song:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-7Ac2LVVYU

Images Link: Here

• Jackie Robinson - Sheet Music 1
    • Jackie Robinson - Sheet Music 2
  • Previous
  • Next
Share |

Browse by

Categories